Sunday, August 14, 2016

Meet Wendy Jones, Author of the Echoes of Nutt Hill Novels


RW:    Has your life changed since you became a writer?
WJ:    Not really. I still have to clean the toilets, cook the tea, and make sure my kids and my mum are okay.

RW:    Who are your favorite authors?
WJ:    Lisa Kleypas, Teresa Medeiros and Tessa Dare.

RW:    What makes a good book?
WJ:    One that makes you feel.

RW:    Where do you hope to be five years from now?
WJ:    Lying on a tropical beach under a nice big shade, drinking cocktails, and writing my third multi-million pound best-selling novel. A girl can dream!

RW:    Why did you decide to write?
WJ:    It started with a dream. I became obsessed with the story in my head and started writing it down.

RW:   When did you first think about writing, and what prompted you to submit your first ms? What genre is it?
WJ:    It was the dream story, a year on. The year after my youngest started school, a romance called Cinderella Girl (since buried in an unmarked grave at midnight!). What made me submit? My Dad encouraged me, saying, “What have you got to lose?”

RW:    What about your family? Do they know not to bother you when you are writing, or are there constant interruptions?
WJ:    Oh, constant interruptions. Mostly my fault, though, as I get guilty-mother syndrome if I don’t put them first.

RW:    If you were stranded on a tropical island, who would it be with? You can choose any living, deceased or mythical figure.
WJ:   Tricky… It’d have to be someone handy and decorative, so … Richard Armitage in his SAS role. (fiction/reality)

RW:    City life or country life? E-Book or paperback? Zebras or elephants?
WJ:  Country life, definitely. Oooooh E-Book. Sorry, paperback.  :-(  And elephants—their babies are so cute.

RW:    Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
WJ:    Quickest, three months. Generally, six to twelve.

RW:    Do you have a set schedule for writing or do you just go with the flow?
WJ:    I go with the flow!

RW:    If I were a first time reader of your books, which one would you recommend I start with and why?
WJ:    Probably The Songbird and the Soldier. It was my first book and still a fair representation of what I bring to a novel. It was my debut too, so a bit of a favourite of mine.

RW:    You'd never be able to tell, but (fill in the blank).
WJ:    I once carried a severed head across a room. (Medical student and forensic pathology fiend.)

Chances AreThe Plot:

A deeply emotional love story from the author of By My Side.

Luke is the man with the money, the fast car and the hot woman. There’s no way he would even think about getting serious, but a face he can’t remember soon threatens his calm.

Rebecca isn’t interested in a relationship, and definitely not with him. How could she, after all he put her through? She’s spent the last four years hiding away from society, a one-woman crusade for children’s road safety. Who would have thought one fateful day, it might almost be her—again.
As two worlds collide, will opposites attract?

Not if she can help it.

Bio:

My name is Wendy Lou Jones. I was born and raised in West Sussex, England and moved to Birmingham to study Medicine at University, where I was lucky enough to meet my husband. We now live in a little village in Herefordshire with our two grubby boys. I discovered a love of writing not long after my youngest son started school. And if you were to ask me what it was that made me make the switch, I’d tell you quite simply, that it started with a dream.

Chances AreExcerpt:

“Are you going to ask me in, or am I going to manage to persuade you to be brave and come out to dinner with me?”

“I’ve got left-over chicken in the fridge,” she said as if that was all she could ask for.

Luke laughed. “Out it is, then.”

She looked at him, trying to fathom the change in his actions.

His smile fell a little. “Am I really that scary?” There was an edge of concern behind the humour.

She shook her head. It wasn’t him she was scared of. “I just…” She shook her head. “I don’t date.”

“Why?”

What could she say to that? Was it not obvious?

“I heard about Steve. I’m sorry.”

And that didn’t explain things? She wasn’t going to allow herself to get het-up. “It’s complicated.”

He nodded. “I imagine it must be. But you have to be allowed to eat. And I’m sure he wouldn’t want you to hide away in there forever, would he?”

Who was he to lecture her about Steve?! “What do you know of Steve? I doubt you ever spoke to him after you left our school.”

“No. You’re right, I didn’t, but if he was as good a chap as everyone says he was, he would want you to be happy, wouldn’t he?”

She didn’t know what to say. There was absolutely nothing in that she could argue with, so instead, she lashed out. “And going out with you would make me happy?”

“It might.”

“You have one mighty high opinion of yourself, don’t you?”


Cracks appeared in Luke’s cool. “No, I don’t, I just wanted to do something nice for you, because I like you. But you seem determined to hate me whatever I do. You fly off the handle if I pay you a compliment, and I’ve lost count of the number of times you’ve sent me away from here. If you’re not attracted to me, just say so, but I find you mesmerising.”

Contacts:



Publishers:  Pronoun/CreateSpace

Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment