Sunday, December 11, 2016

Should We Authors Speak Out in Troubled Times? @RochelleWeber #OpEd #Politics #Religion


?

I scheduled a guest this week, but she did not send her info back to me, so I needed to come up with something at the last minute. This is a question my publisher MuseItUp Publishing, Inc., asked for our company blog (http://museituppublishing.blogspot.com/) that I didn’t have time to answer—then.

In the past, I’ve talked about some of my beliefs. For instance, I believe there’s a power greater than me. I believe that power has both masculine and feminine energies and I honor both. I believe Jesus was a great teacher, and I’d like to know what he was really doing between the time he stayed in the temple talking with the elders for six days without his parents at the age of twelve and when he began his ministry at thirty. (I said six days because his parents were three days away when they realized he was missing. It would have taken another three days to get back and retrieve him.) At any rate, that’s eighteen years of his life missing from the Bible.

So, do people want to hear what I have to think in troubled times? Frankly, in these particular times, I’m afraid to speak. There’s supposed to be a women’s rally in Washington, DC, the day after the inauguration. Traditionally such rallies are held at the Lincoln Memorial. The so-called President Elect has instructed the National Park Rangers to prevent the ladies from meeting there. He says he needs the space for “inaugural activities.” The day after his inauguration? His first full day in office and he’s already planning to deprive people of their First Amendment rights to gather and speak?

I suppose many people would think I was part of “the problem.” If I were younger, had the energy and the money to get downtown, I'd be protesting this election. I've already started signing petitions. Or better yet, I wish I had the money to get to that rally in DC. Anyone who has read my first book Rock Bound should know how I feel about so-called Presidents who overstep the power of their office.

Should we, as authors, raise our voices in troubled times? Any time we see wrongdoing, we should all raise our voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment