Sunday, June 25, 2017

Stan Hampton Author of Monologue #Pandemic, #SciFi, #SpaceShuttle





I’d like to welcome Stan Hampton to my blog today.

RW:      Tell us about yourself, your family, where you live, etc.

SSH:      Hi. Well, I’m a full-blood Choctaw from the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, I have three kids, and thirteen grandkids. At the moment, my home is Las Vegas, Nevada.

RW:       How many hours a day do you spend writing?

SSH:     Not enough. I write when the mood strikes me, which is not the best way to write. Sometimes I can start writing in the evening all the way to dawn, and sometimes I can start at dawn and write until dusk.

RW:      Would you like to write a different genre or sub-genre than you do now?

SSH:      Well, I did write a Native American steampunk story in the past couple of years. I’ve been fascinated by steampunk for a number of years, now and finally gave it a try. I would like to explore more of the Native American steampunk world.

RW:       How many books have you written, how many have been published?

SSH:      Truthfully, I’ve only written two novels; one (Sharing Rachel) has been published and the sequel (Prairie Muse) will be released in July 2017.

RW:     After you’ve written your book and it’s been published, do you ever buy it and/or read it?

SSH:      No.

RW:       Which comes first, the story, the characters, or the setting?

SSH:     I think the story idea comes first, then the characters, and finally the setting.

RW:       Are you in control of your characters or do they control you?

SSH:      I’m pretty much in control of my characters because I write a biography of each one, and therefore I know their strengths and weaknesses, and pretty much how they will respond to different situations. On the other hand, I’m also flexible enough that if the characters seem to insist on going in a different direction, for whatever reason, I can do so.

RW:       Have you experienced writer’s block? If so, how did you work through it?

SSH:     Oh yeah. I pretty much focused on writing guest posts for blogs, outlined future writings, and did research for future writings. Eventually the writer’s block passed and I was able to get back to writing stories again.

RW:       What can we expect from you in the future? Where do you hope to be five years from now?

SSH:   More writings regarding alternative histories, especially the Middle Ages and Native American steampunk, and more military/supernatural fiction. Even a straight horror story or two. Probably a science fiction story or two.

RW:       A biography has been written about you. What do you think the title would be in six words or less?

SSH:      “I Am…”

RW:       If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?

SSH:      I’m not sure. France, England, or Ireland. I love the history of each country, as well as the Medieval architecture. I’ve visited France and England, and both offer wonderful photographic opportunities (I am also a photographer). And I enjoy the somewhat “laid back” lifestyle of France in particular.

RW:       Party life or quiet dinner for two?

SSH:      A quiet dinner for two. I don’t have to yell over other conversations, and it is far more rewarding to be able to focus only on your dinner companion. Besides, I think a quiet dinner is more fun.

RW:       Those are all the questions I have for you. Thank you for speaking to me.

SSH:      Thank you for having me. I appreciate it.

MONOLOGUE

The Plot

You can run, but what if you find yourself aboard a space faring Flying Dutchman?

Luther Raynor is a son of one of the world’s wealthiest and politically influential families. When the Etava Virus appears, and spreads across the world, mankind’s very survival is in question. Luther uses his family’s wealth to construct a sleeper spacecraft to take the family into space, to orbit in safety around Jupiter for a thousand years in suspended animation. At the last minute, he changes the plan after calculating that upon awakening, survival supplies for one would last far longer than for two dozen or more people. He flees into space alone except for the Mobile Artificial Intelligence Image—May, responsible for operation of the spacecraft. But, Luther has no idea what awaits him out there.

ABOUT STAN:

SS Hampton, Sr. is a full-blood Choctaw of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, a divorced grandfather of thirteen grandchildren, and a veteran of Operations Noble Eagle (2004-2006) and Iraqi Freedom (2006-2007). He continues to serve in the Army National Guard, where he holds the rank of staff sergeant. He is a published photographer and photojournalist, an aspiring painter, and is studying for a degree in anthropology.

His writings have appeared as stand-alone stories and in anthologies from MUSA Publishing, Melange Books, Ravenous Romance, Dark Opus Press Horror Bound Magazine, Ruthie’s Club, Lucrezia Magazine, The Harrow, and River Walk Journal, among others. He also has stories in anthologies from Edge SF & Fantasy, and Ravenous Romance. At one time, he was a homeless Iraq war veteran in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Book Links:


Contact Stan At:

No comments:

Post a Comment