Monday, January 29, 2018

Lauren Walstein of #After by Barbara Ehrentreu. @barbehr #Realistic, #YoungAdult,


I’d like to welcome Lauren Walstein of After by Barbara Ehrentreu.


RW:    What’s your story/back story? Why would someone come up with a story about you?

LW:    My dad had a heart attack and I picked up the phone when he called my mom. After that phone call everything changed in my life. I think of life as before and after the phone call.

RW:    Can you tell us about your hero?

LW:    I guess my heroes are the Mets and Joey, my BFF.

RW:    What problems do you have to face and overcome in your life?

LW:    Well, my dad is in the hospital, because of the heart attack and he needed bypass surgery. So I had to go to school, practice for softball and visit him every day. I had to give up softball practice, and I really want to get a scholarship or else I can’t go to college.

Also, I am beginning to like, like Joey since this happened and he has a girlfriend. She hates me. So, it’s hard to see him as much as I want.

RW:    Do you expect your hero to help or is he the problem?

LW:    Joey is helping me and that is why I am beginning to like him more as a boy. He is there for me almost all of the time with a hug when I need it. Even in the middle of the hall at school.

RW:    Where do you live?

LW:   Mill Valley, New York. It’s upstate in Westchester County.

RW:    During what time-period does your story take place?

LW:    It’s five years ago.

RW:    How are you coping with the conflict in your life?

LW:    I have moments when I can’t take it, but my sister and Mom and I are getting along and learning to cope with our new life.


RW:    Those are all the questions I have for you. Thank you for speaking to me.

Barbara Ehrentreu

Barbara Ehrentreu grew up in Brooklyn and moved to Queens. She has lived and taught in Long Island, Buffalo, NY and Westchester, NY, as well as a year in Los Angeles, CA. She has a Masters Degree in Reading and Writing K-12. Currently she is retired from teaching and living in Stamford, CT with her family. Her second book, After, will soon be available in print. It considers what can happen to a teen when her father becomes ill with a heart attack. It is based on her own experiences when her husband had a heart attack and the aftermath of what she and her family experienced.

If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor, her first novel, won second
prize in Preditors & Editors as Best Young Adult Book for 2011. It was inspired by Paula Danziger for her children’s writing workshop at Manhattanville College.

Barbara also writes poetry. She has a book called You’ll Probably Forget Me: Living With and Without Hal, which is a memorial to her deceased husband. Several of her poems are published in the anthologies, World Poetry Open Mic, several international anthologies, Prompted: An International Collection of Poetry, Beyond the Dark Room, Storm Cycle, and Backlit Barbell. In addition, Barbara is a regular contributor to the Facebook page: “The Garden of Poetry and Prose”. Barbara has a blog, Barbara’s Meanderings, and she hosts a radio show on Blog Talk Radio, “Red River Radio Tales from the Pages,” once a month. She is a member of Greenwich Pen Letters and SCBWI.


AFTER

The Plot

“After” is a story about the struggles Lauren Walstein, a fifteen-year-old girl, has to go through when her father suddenly has a heart attack and undergoes bypass surgery. In one phone call her life changes completely.

Lauren is a character with whom most teens will relate. Her best friend since kindergarten, Joey, is going out with her enemy, and they have grown apart. Before the phone call all she thought about was getting a scholarship for softball, and the Mets. Suddenly she must deal with both her father’s illness and being in school. The demands on her from both ends complicate the story. In the middle of all this, she finds she is developing feelings for her best friend that are more than friendly. Is he feeling the same or is he just comforting her? In addition there is Joey’s mean girlfriend Amber, who doesn’t appreciate Lauren being in the picture. Will Lauren’s father recover? How will Lauren cope with her new feelings for Joey?


An Excerpt:

Chapter One

The phone rang as the ball left the pitcher’s glove and I glanced toward the sound. Mom’s tears made me forget all about the game. My life changed while the TV blurred and turned into a nightmare kaleidoscope. That moment has been indelibly pressed into my thoughts.

My sister, Diane, was upstairs hunched over her computer as usual. She’s not a baseball fan at all. But I lived and breathed for the Mets that fall. They had such a great chance of getting the pennant and maybe even winning the World Series. I obsessed about the Mets, and of course, Joey.

Joey, my best friend from kindergarten, was always there for me. It’s hard to imagine a recess without him by my side. He’s bigger than I am and always looked a little older than he was. Mom liked Joey because he assured her he would obey her rules. Maybe it was his easy smile or his clear, gray eyes.

Lately, though, Joey and I haven’t been so close. It happened during the summer when he was a counselor at this camp and he hooked up with this girl, Amber, who goes to our school. So now he spends a lot of his time with her, and we barely see each other. We used to watch the Mets together all the time, too. So I missed him being there with me, and his comments about the players. But all that was before the phone call. Pre-phone call my deepest thoughts centered on the Mets and finding the sweet spot for the ball in my new baseball glove. Pre-phone call, my world was worrying about homework getting done and wondering what lunch would be like on Monday. Oh, and of course, thinking about how to beat the next team we were up against in softball. I’m a starting pitcher this year and I want to show my coach she can believe in me. I’m only a sophomore, but I hope someday to play college softball. I need to get a scholarship in order to go. My parents have already told me they can’t swing it without one.

After the phone call my life was a ball of twisted emotions and all I could think about was Dad, and how Mom, Diane, and I would get through this night.


Contact Barbara At:




Book Links—After

If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor: (print and ebook)
MuseItUp Publishing: http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore/index.php/museityoung/if-i-could-be-like-jennifer-taylor-detail

You’ll Probably Forget Me: Living With and Without Hal:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the opportunity to be on your blog. Lauren, my character, really appreciates your wanting to hear her story. Mostly people just interview me, the author. So it's cool that you wanted Lauren here.

    ReplyDelete