Monday, January 09, 2017

Tenni, The Tobine Chronicles, by Adera Orfanelli



Please welcome Tenni from The Tobine Chronicles by Adera Orfanelli.

RW:    What’s your story/back story? Why would someone come up with a story about YOU?

T:      I was married to the leader of the resistance, something I now agree with my parents was foolish. However, my planet is dying, my husband and our son were killed by a government bomb, and now I am the only one who can stand up for the world that I love against government, rebel, and alien forces alike.

RW:    What problems do you have to face and overcome in your life?

T:        Being the widow of the resistance’s leader has put me in everyone’s crosshairs. His brother, who now runs the resistance, is obsessed with me and wants me at all costs. I’m not sure if the government really has what’s best in mind for this planet, and now these aliens have arrived and think that I’m their key to legitimate rule. It was so much easier when I could just be the dutiful wife and stay out of all of the politics and intrigue.

RW:    Do you expect your hero to help or is he the problem?

T:        I am the solution to the problem. I just have to figure out how to deal with the forces seeking to tear my world apart. There’s a fourth way—my way—I just need to implement it.

RW:    Where do you live?

T:        A former mining colony called Tobine. It’s been mined to death; there are no more resources here. But the world is situated in a place that makes it strategically advantageous. Thus it is territory to control.

RW:    How are you coping with the conflict in your life?

T:      I’m coping the best I can, relying on my wits and smarts. Mostly I’m dreaming of the day that my world is free.

RW:    What is your secret guilty pleasure?

T:        Back when we had vids, I would curl up and watch the viddramas because they were so outlandish and foolish representations of what it was like to be wealthy and influential on our world. But they were fun and one of my biggest guilty pleasures. I believe the equivalent on your world is a soap opera?

RW:    If you came with a warning label, what would it say?

T:        Be careful. I am more than I seem.

RW:    Are you in control of your author or does she control you?

T:        I’m in control, most definitely. There are several places she thought she’d take me, and I’ve said no to most of them.

RW:    If I could (fill in the blank) I’d (fill in the blank).

T:        If I could go back in time, I’d like to talk to my mother and find out why everyone seems to think I’m so important.

RW:    I can never (fill in the blank) because (fill in the blank).

T:       I can never leave this planet because it’s my home, and I seem to be the only one who wants to stand up for its people.

RW:   Those are all the questions I have for you today. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

T:        Thank you for having me. I appreciate the opportunity to share more about my story.

Adera Orfanelli

Bio:

Mary lives in the Ozarks on a homestead with her spoiled horses, a flock of highly entertaining chickens, a not-so-itty-bitty-kitty-committee, and her husband. Her first published novel, Ghost Touch, was released in December 2002–back when you had to explain to people what an e-book was. Since then she’s written more than the fifty novels/novellas in multiple genres of romance, as well as nonfiction books under another pen name. She’s been published as Mary Winter, Adera Orfanelli, and W.M. Kirkland.
In addition, she runs Unscramblet Author Solutions, helping authors unscramble their “to do” lists and their promotions.

TOBINE CHRONICLES
Episode Three

The Plot:

In the battle to save the planet she loves, one woman must discover the truth about her past, and if she has the strength necessary to not just save Tobine–but rule.

Episode Three—As Tenni learns more about the Vilos’ plans, she wants nothing to do with the frog-like creatures. With the slave Kavin, she begins to make plans to escape only to discover that she’s been given a horrible twist of fate.

Excerpt:

Has it been over a week? Sitting in the slave compound, her hand through the fence into the men’s section, she stared at the fence separating her from freedom. Well, freedom and several Vilos guards. Kavin caressed her palm with his thumb, the gesture sensual and comforting at the same time.
“I hope you do not think less of me,” she whispered, “that K’Bana takes me to his bed.” Tenni sighed heavily. “Damn me, but sometimes I close my eyes, and if I picture someone else in his place, then I almost like the things he does to me. But when he beats me, I hate him. I want out of here. I want away.”
Kavin squeezed her hand. “At least it isn’t so bad with the men. We work for them, but it isn’t unlike the labor we did before, toiling to make a living. Only now, we get lashes instead of pay, and the wife I once shared my life and my heart with is dead. Along with our son and daughter. I do not know how you put up with it at all. I think I’d go mad.”
“I’ve learned to endure many things. It is different when you’re a woman.” Tenni stared at the grass just in front of her, wishing she could do more than simply hold Kavin’s hand. His words made her want to rest her head against his chest and believe, if even for a moment, things might be all right again.
“Did your husband not love you?”
Tenni gasped. She opened her mouth to deny Kavin’s words but made no sound.
“I see,” he said softly. “I am sorry to hear that. You’re a beautiful woman, Tenni. You deserve to be loved.”
Tenni hissed and pulled her hand away. “We can’t talk of those things. Not here.”
The rustle of guards just outside the women’s fence made Tenni rise to her feet. She hurried back towards the gate, her heart thumping in her chest. What would happen to me if they found out I spoke with Kavin? They might realize I might care for him. She knew whatever happened, it couldn’t be good. Hurrying to the fence, she ignored the looks from the other women. When she looked at them, she saw jealousy and hatred. If they want K’Bana, then they could have him. I don’t know what I did to deserve this treatment anyway. She stood by the fence, certain the guards had come for her. She learned early, if she went willingly to the guards, then they wouldn’t enter the compound, and the other woman might be spared this time.
A Vilos guard opened the gate. Tenni suspected the mottled pattern on his green skin might tell him apart, but she never bothered to learn. They all treated her like a piece of meat; she might as well do the same. Tenni stepped through, and the guard closed the gate behind her.
“K’Bana has an itch he needs scratched,” the guard chuckled. He stroked his hand down the front of her shirt, pinching her breasts as he did so. “I wish you’d scratch my itches, little human.”
Tenni held her head high and said nothing. She knew better than to fight. K’Bana only beat her worse then. Instead, she endured the graceless grope, until the guard’s partner poked her in the back with the muzzle of his rifle and sent her walking towards K’Bana’s tent. I will get out of here. There has to be a way out.

Contacts:

Author Website:  http://marywinter.com

Buy Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment