Sunday, June 19, 2016

Mary Marvella




Please welcome Mary Marvella to my blog this week. Her latest book, Cheerleader Dad, looks like a fun romcom!

RW:    What is the best thing about being a writer?
MM:    I can write the crazy stories that form in my brain.

RW:    Who are your favorite authors?
MM:    I love Nora Roberts and Jane Porter and Karen White and…

RW:  Who are your favorite characters among the books you’ve written?
MM:   Maybe Douglas Drake (a bad guy), and Sam and Drew and...

RW:    Why did you decide to write?
MM:    I thought I would write the stories my gandmama told us about her teen years and about Mama. Then I wrote the stories I made up for my daughter. Finally, I knew I wanted to write romances instead of children’s stories or stories with historical settings.

RW:    How much of your personality and life experiences are in your writing?
MM:   A lot of my personality and none of my experiences. I make up better stuff.

RW:    Do you feel humor is important in fiction and why?
MM:    Humor allows balance in fiction, even dark humor.

RW:    What about your family? Do they know not to bother you when you are writing, or are there constant interruptions?
MM:   I live alone. My EX interrupted my writing to send me on errands for the photography studio, so I wrote at night after he went to sleep. I am a night owl, so that worked.

RW:  Picture yourself as a store. Considering your personality and lifestyle, what type of products would be sold there?
MM:    Walmart—Everything.

RW:    If you were stranded on a tropical island, who would it be with? You can choose any living, deceased or mythical figure.
MM:    Adrian Paul.

RW:    Generally, how long does it take you to write a book?
MM:    I wrote this sweet romance in a month. Usually it takes three to six months.

Thanks so much for joining us today. We’ve really enjoyed getting to know you. Now, let’s learn a little more about your latest book.

Cheerleader Dad

The Plot

This sweet contemporary romantic comedy is reminiscent of the Parent Trap movies. Single parents Jesse and Lily are raising eleven year-old daughters on their own. Lily’s husband walked out on her while she was pregnant. Jesse has raised his daughter alone because his ex didn’t want to be a mother.

Jesse and Lily try to resist the ploys their daughters use to push them together as the attraction between the adults grows. Are they any match for scheming ’tweens and growing adult attraction?

Excerpt:

He hadn’t moved away. It was dark, but she could see his mouth beckoning. Just a fraction away from kissing him, she couldn’t move. Jesse parted his lips, licking them. They’d taste of butter and popcorn, ordinary flavors, but so damned sexy!

“Jesse,” she managed to whisper.

“Yes?” he croaked.

“Would you just go ahead and kiss her so we can watch the movie?” an old man behind them complained.

Lily jarred the popcorn tub. “Oh, no!” White spots covered Jesse’s lap.

“Oh, Herbert, you have no romance. You spoiled a lovely moment, old fart,” the woman behind Jesse and Lily scolded.

Lily grabbed the extra napkins to clean up her mess.

She wasn’t helping Jesse as her hand grazed his zipper placket. In fact, she was making him hard as a rock. If she didn’t stop rubbing across his lap his crotch would surprise her. She’d be as embarrassed as he’d been wiping her breast earlier. He grabbed her wrist to stop the brushing movement that was giving him a raging erection.


Bio:

Ms. Marvella describes herself as a “story-holic” and says, Yep, I’ve loved to read since the first grade. I’ve been a storyteller for as long as I can remember. I made up stories for my friends, and the details I created for our ‘play like’ or ‘let’s pretend’ games were so real, sometimes they scared even me.”

She taught language arts for fifteen years, using her BA in English. An M.Ed in Counseling served her well during her years as a school counselor and as a teacher later.

Now Ms. Marvella tutors, teaches writers, and edits. Her inner English teacher “loves the editing part.” Her forty-three year-old daughter doesn’t read her books. (“Something about TMI.”) She lives north of Atlanta, Georgia and has published six novels, two novellas, and five short stories.

Conact Mary at:

Author Website:  http://www.MaryMarvella.com
Twitter:  @mmarvellab

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rochelle, for having me as your guest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. It was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete